Friday, January 28, 2011

Stop Pressing 'Pause'



I wouldn't say I'm stuck on creating but I am on pause from moving forward. My aim is to make art a full time business but I can honestly say that I'm sucking at the part-time position. This week I've been trying to prepare myself for opening an Etsy shop. Each day I think I have done more at browsing other shops than focusing on my on. My excuse this week has been on photography. I've read so much on styling and photographing items for Etsy and blogs that I've dug myself into a deeper whole. In order for me to get customers, I feel like my shots have to be just right, but I guess I have lost some creativity in this area. Therefore, I'm not making moves to list items yet until I am satisfied with my photos. I need to get over this insecurity because I'm just starting it out. Nothing has to be just right. The process is to improve over time. So I guess in righting this I realized that there is a definite need to get unstuck and release the pause button. And I'm just making up reasons to hold myself back. Wow!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Darnita, enjoying your art very much....Etsy is a tough place, and can be kind of overwhelming. I have a friend who makes steampunk jewelry and sells well on etsy but she is literally online 24/7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if your photo is clear and shows the item in good light that's all you need to get started. We all have to crawl before we walk or run! No one is a master at anything at the beginning. Take baby steps and learn as you go. Don't hold yourself back because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Victoria- I feel like I've been on Etsy 24/7 just browsing the forums and other goodies. So I know that when I have my shop up and running, I'll be on there constantly as well.

    @Janet- Thank you for the encouragement. Baby steps are quite beneficial. I don't know why my crazy Virgo self always tries to move mountains first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Virgo, this post is so you! I look forward to the day when your Etsy shop opens. <3 I will be the first in line to buy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tamara- I know you will and yes I've been playing the role of Miss Virgo very well. I need to put her on vacation for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl,

    I know just what you mean about Etsy. It stops me in my tracks every time I think about setting up a shop. Last year, I think, I put up one little necklace. It took me all day to style that necklace, photograph it, write a description that is no where near as clever or as interesting as the ones I see in other shops. I admire your full-steam-ahead approach. Go for it. I'll look to you for inspiration. And, by the way, I love, love the fresh look of your blog revamp. Nice.

    ReplyDelete