Monday, October 20, 2014

Forever Student




Hi lovelies!

I have missed you dearly and hope your life has been fabulous since my last post. My design endeavors have been kicked up a few notches and I am beginning to feel like a forever student. There will always be something else to learn about designing, building collections, promotion and marketing, etc etc. And while my perfectionist ego would love to know everything at once before doing anything, I know that is not how life is. Therefore, I and my works will forever be a part of the creative and learning process. While this process can be tedious, it can also be a beautiful opportunity to grow and become better at my craft.

One such opportunity that allowed me to leap and learn was participating in a pattern design competition for an upcoming home furnishings company. The project entailed designing a six-piece collection with varying unique designs that fits the personality of the company's customer. There was a grand prize winner as well as other designers selected to join the initial design team. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky winners. Yet, I am so totally impressed with myself. 
 

Her Typical Day collection by Darnita L Howard


I am easing into my style and seeing what works and what doesn't. I am enjoying the research process and following all these tutorials and guides about designing and making patterns. It is so much fun. I realize that I can't get enough of patterns and that everywhere I go, I paying more attention to what others are wearing, how walls are covered, and seeing patterns in everything.  And that fuels my desire to design more and learn about shaping these inspirations into pattern form. It is okay to be a forever student. And I don't mind telling others to do the same. So, what are you a student of? Share in the comments section.

Until next time, have a beautifully designed day.

Darnita

2 comments:

  1. Hi Darnita,
    your posts are always very empowering and inspiring!
    I'm learning forever too, and there always something that I would love to learn and study.
    I'm learning digital painting now and it isn't easy and I'm struggling. But I just can't give up!
    I like your patterns and I think you are going to get what you want!
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and inspiration! good luck and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-) I am happy to know you find my posts inspirational. I love learning but the struggle of getting through it sometimes can be a doozy. I wish you much success as you embrace digital painting.

      Delete